Discipline is the suppression of unnecessary desires. Discipline is self-control; a man without self-control is like a city without walls i.e. without any defense. Prov. 25:28. This means that discipline if a defense. A life without discipline is like a ship without its rudder and compass, its drift here and there. Discipline is the key to excellence; No man can achieve excellent without discipline. Ruben was designed and programmed by God for excellence but lack of discipline robbed him of this great destiny. Gen .49:3-4. Most times discipline comes as instructions, that looks difficult but in it are treasures. Prov. 15:32. Discipline says pay now, play later. There cannot be the fulfillment of destiny without discipline.
Benefits of Discipline
- Progress: To make great progress in life you need discipline. It’s discipline that will make you prepare for that exam, for the business and excel in your career.
- Recognition / Respect: Discipline leads to a life of respect and recognition. Success brings respect and recognition, note that the price for success is discipline.
- Long life: Over indulgence in many mundane things of life causes man to loss the blessing and grace for long life. Samson lost his anointing, power and eventually died prematurely as a result of lack of discipline.
- Prosperity: Prosperity is not for the lazy, Prov. 13:4. Discipline that makes a man overcome laziness. He that is discipline will put his hand into labour and prosper.
- Favour: Discipline attracts favour from God and man. Daniel was favoured by God and man because he was a man of great discipline. Dan.1:8-9.
- Achievement of Goals: Goals are in achievable without discipline. 1 Cor. 9:23-27
Discipline could be painful at the moment but its fruit is always peaceful, sweet, and glorious. Heb. 12:11. Please note that discipline, which can be interpreted as self-control is a fruit of the Spirit. Gal. 5:22-23. it’s an indispensable attribute of a believer.